Duties & Responsibilities
The City of Paris has a Council-Manager form of government. The City Manager is appointed by and serves at the pleasure of the City Council, which is the governing body responsible for setting policy.
The City Manager serves as the Chief Administrative Officer and is responsible for:
- Implementing the policies, goals, and objectives adopted by the Council
- Enforcing all City ordinances, rules, and regulations
- Keeping the Council informed
- Drawing Council attention to City needs and recommending alternatives by which the Council can respond to those needs
- Supervising all municipal employees, except the offices of the City Attorney and Municipal Court Judge
- Preparing the annual budget and keeping the Council and public advised of the City’s financial condition and future needs
- Serving as a liaison or ex-officio member to various City and community committees and organizations
- Preparing Council meeting agendas and attending all such meetings to serve as a resource to the Council and public
The City Manager’s Office also operates an ombudsman service for citizens to use after a citizen has brought an issue to the attention of the appropriate city department and the issue did not get resolved.