Mayor's Yard of the Month
City of Paris Mayor, Paula Portugal is sponsoring a yard of the month contest. The purpose of the program is to recognize Paris neighbors who demonstrate above average efforts in maintaining their properties, and thereby contributing to the overall appearance of the community at large.
"To support beautification and Paris Pride, I am creating a Mayor’s Yard of the Month award. Eligibility includes businesses, residences, and rehabbed properties within the city. Winners will be judged on overall appearance and neatness. Nominations may be made by simply filling out a nomination form by clicking here. Recipients will be chosen from each quadrant of the city, and winners will receive a yard sign, a certificate at a City Council meeting plus a $25 gift card from Keep Paris Beautiful”, says Mayor Portugal.
All award winners will receive an official Mayor’s Yard of the Month lawn sign to be placed on their property for the duration of their award month. Position of the yard sign should be midway between the street and the front of the house. Mayor’s Yard of the month winners will be recognized by the Mayor at the first City Council meeting of each month., as well as be recognized on the City of Paris website, social media and the local news outlets.
- All City of Paris properties are automatically eligible for nomination.
- Key Criteria include manicured yard, beautification, originality and creativity.
- Yards are judged solely on the total exterior appearance of their property.
- Contributing factors are appearance, tidiness, trimmed and shaped foliage, edged and defined lawns, borders and flower beds and visually appealing façade.
- Walkways and driveways should be clean and free of clutter.
- Evening appearance after dusk including lighting and safety lighting may help properties stand out.
- Aesthetics of landscaping (garden art, fountains and use of color and textures), inviting look of front entry (hanging baskets, pots, cleanliness etc.) affect the overall look from the street.
- Each resident may nominate any yard in Paris City Limits including their own by submitting and uploading photos to the nomination form by clicking here. Submissions will be received up to the 15th of each month prior to the award. (i.e. June 15 for July Award)
- The City of Paris Mayor will present awards on the 2nd Monday of following month at the City Council Meetings.
- A yard sign will be placed in the front yard of the recipient to be displayed for only one month beginning on the 1st day of the month.
- Recipients may be presented Mayor’s Yard of the Month only once per calendar year.
- Seven (7) Mayor’s Yard of the Month awards will be presented each month. (4 Residential, 1 Commercial, 1 Industrial and 1 Residential Rehabbed Property)
Award Winners - 2021
July - TBD
August - TBD
October - TBD
December - TBD