- Fire Department
Employment - Civil Service
The Paris Fire Department operates under the auspices of Government Code Chapter 143, commonly referred to as Civil Service. The City of Paris is an equal opportunity employer and strives to maintain a fire department that is consistent with the diversity of the community.
Under Civil Service, a written examination is given to potential firefighter applicants. Applicants must pass the written examination with a score of 70% or better for inclusion on the eligibility list.
Veterans of the US armed services are given five additional points to their passing score with submission of the form DD-214 showing an honorable discharge with at least 180 days of service not including training.
Any eligibility list created by an examination will be in effect for a period of twelve (12) months from the date of the examination, unless the list is exhausted prior to that time.
Requirements for employment are directly related to the requirements of obtaining a Firefighter Certification from the Texas Commission on Fire Protection as well as local Civil Service requirements.
Listing of Requirements
- Be a citizen of the United States
- Be at least 18 years of age and less than 36 years of age.
- Be of good moral character with no felony convictions and no Class B Misdemeanor convictions within the last 10 years.
- Be a high school graduate or have passed the GED test.
- Be able to read and write the English Language.
- Must possess at least a valid Texas Class C and be able to obtain a Texas Class B Exempt driver’s license.
- Must not have been discharged from any military service under less than honorable conditions including, specifically: a) under other than honorable conditions, b) bad conduct, c) dishonorable; and d) any other characterization of service indicating bad character; e) must be able to provide continued good service documentation, if currently in military service.
- Applicants must be able to successfully pass the following tests:
- Civil Service Entrance Examination
- Physical assessment
- Medical physical
- Drug screen
- Applicants must pass an oral interview board
- Applicants must meet all requirements for certification as a firefighter through TCFP
- Applicants must meet all requirements for certification as an EMT through TDSHS
- NEW - Residency Requirement. Successful applicants must currently reside, or move to, within a sixty (60) minute timed response to the City of Paris town square, within one (1) year of employment start date, and maintain such throughout tenure with the department.
- Civil Service Written Exam taken and eligibility list created
- Physical Assessment - Click Here for PFD PRE-EMPLOYMENT PHYSICAL ABILITY EVALUATION GUIDE (See Video at Bottom of Page)
- Personal History Statement and Questionnaire completed
- Intensive criminal background investigation
- Oral Interview Board
- Final Interview with the Fire Chief - Job offer made
- Pre-Employment Testing:
- Medical Examination / Physical Examination
- Drug Screen
Hire Date dependent on certification or start date for Basic Firefighter Academy
To be included on the notification list for the next available Civil Service Entry Examination, complete and submit the Application to Test for Firefighter. You may download the application and mail it to the addresses listed below.
Applications are also available at City Hall. All applications should be returned to Civil Service Director, Sandy Collard, at:
City of Paris
Civil Service Director
P.O. Box 9037
Paris, TX 75461